About the Community Foundation for Monterey County
To inspire philanthropy and be a catalyst for strengthening communities throughout Monterey County.
Healthy, safe, vibrant communities
- We advance positive change through grantmaking, community engagement and collaboration.
- We build a legacy for future generations through responsible stewardship of the resources entrusted to us.
- We operate with the highest standards of integrity, ethics and accountability.
- We embrace inclusivity and diversity.
- We commit to fairness and respect for the dignity of all people.
- We are open and honest with our philanthropic partners, grantees and the community.
- We strive for excellence in all that we do.
Since 1945 the Community Foundation for Monterey County has focused on improving the quality of life in Monterey County. With an initial focus on historic preservation and then environmental stewardship, the focus of the Foundation changed in 1981 to connecting community members, nonprofits and other partners to strengthen our region through philanthropy.
Today, we are the largest grantmaking foundation of any kind on California’s Central Coast with nearly 300 individual funds and over $137 million in assets as of the end of 2010. Together with philanthropic partners, we gave $6.4 million grants to more than 300 nonprofit organizations in the areas of community and social services, arts and culture, health, education, the environment, animal welfare, historic preservation and more.
Visit the web site for the Community Foundation for Monterey County.